Wednesday, January 4, 2017

(The Easiest) Peanut Butter Brownies

I mentioned that most recipes I post will have less than ten ingredients. Why is this important?

#1 Time. I don't like spending time searching for ingredients in the cupboard/fridge/freezer.
#2 Shopping lists. I don't like writing down ingredient after ingredient on a list, hunting for them in the store, and then paying for them and hauling them home.
#3 Distance (which really goes back to time). I live 30 minutes from the nearest store, so I don't want to run out to pick up missing ingredients. The less I need to keep track of to begin with, the better.


I've experimented with a lot of homemade brownie mixes. Some are really good. However, when it comes to brownies, store-bought mixes are the way to go. It's just a fact of nature and science; there will not be an easier or tastier way to bake brownies. I like that you can adjust the boxed mix to make it "healthier" by using applesauce instead of oil. I do this often. A friend told me once that she also underbakes brownies because that results in a chewy texture, and I agree. With this particular recipe, I followed the high-altitude instructions (for the first time since we've lived in high-altitude...uh, 3 years) and they came out better than ever before. Obviously.

Also happening often, I spruce up the mix by adding something to it. It's not a new idea, of course, but this is a great way to use up leftover candy or seem fancy-ish without actually having to do much. For this batch, I used a Christmas pack of Peanut Butter Meltaways. The Santas and trees and wreaths melted right into the batter and I had peanut butter brownies.

Top them off with ice cream and it's the perfect dessert for entertaining because:
#1 Everyone will like it, especially kids (and adults)
#2 You're using a boxed brownie mix. A nine year-old could do it.

(The Easiest) Peanut Butter Brownies

1 box brownie mix, prepared and poured into a greased 9x13 pan
Peanut butter candy of your choice (Reeses' Cups or peanut butter chips or even swirls of slightly melted peanut butter, in a pinch)

Top the batter with the candy or peanut butter. Press it in gently.
Bake according to package instructions.

Serve warm with ice cream. Or, let cool and warm up just before serving.
You could also freeze these brownies and pull them out as needed.

1 comment:

  1. Lord you are speaking my language! My language is chocolate, peanut butter and ice cream. And 30 minutes to the store?! I live in the middle of nowhere, on an island, and I can get to a store quicker than that! I would be so skinny because I would never go to grocery shopping haha

    ReplyDelete